Classic Red Rose Sticker
Initially named Hickory Town, this city underwent a transformative rebranding, thanks to a local native named John Wright who renamed it after the English city of Lancaster. The adoption of the red rose as its symbol pays homage to the House of Lancaster. Lancaster holds a significant place in the history of Pennsylvania, having been included in the 1681 Penn's Woods Charter of William Penn. The city's layout, credited to James Hamilton, dates back to 1734, and it achieved borough status in 1742, ultimately gaining city status in 1818. An interesting twist of history links Lancaster with York, as they both share the moniker "War of the Roses," with Lancaster being known as the "Red Rose City" and York as the "White Rose City."