Red Rose City
Originally called Hickory Town, the city was renamed after the English city of Lancaster by native John Wright. Its symbol, the red rose, is from the House of Lancaster. Lancaster was part of the 1681 Penn's Woods Charter of William Penn, and was laid out by James Hamilton in 1734. It was incorporated as a borough in 1742 and incorporated as a city in 1818. Today Lancaster shares the novel "War of the Roses" with York, as they are known as the "White Rose City"
HEATHER ORANGE / DUEL BLEND / PA SKY PINK PRINT